tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 21 22:48:52 1997

RE: SeQpIr, *Sonet*mey bom 123

Hi Chris,

You wrote:
I'm new. Can someone please translate this sonnet into English.

I attempted to translate it, but I don't have a copy of Shakespeare's sonnets.
 This is the best I could come up with for a translation, perhaps someone else
will give a better rendition!  Some of it didn't make sense to me, but it may
be that I miss some of the "suttle linguistic use" or the silly rhyming scheme
or some such!

Good luck!

Qo', bov! "bIchoH" bImIy 'e' vIchawQo'!
I refuse, era!  I won't permit you to brag, "You change"

jIHvaD Dojbe' 'ej Dal vaS'a'lIj motlh
It not be impressive for me and it is usual your great hall is be bored

chenmoHpu'bogh HoS chu'. reH chavmey ngo'
The new power which was formed.  Always old achievements.

luSutqa'moH neH bIH; ngo'Ha', 'ach notlh.
They only causes <Sut> again, very old, but it is obsolete

nom rInnIS DISmaj; vaj wIHo'taHmeH
Quickly our year it is finished, thus, we continue to admire it

ben quv wIbuS, bIraDmo'. quvvetlh tu'lu',
Because your force it, we think only about honor years ago there is that honor

'oH boghmoHpu'mo' neHtaHghachmaj leH,
It is because it was caused to be born it maintains our wanting

net Har --- 'a lutmey tIQDaq ghoghDaj ngu'lu'.
It believes that --- nevertheless one identifies his voice in ancient stories.

Hoch tameylIj vIqaD, 'ej SoH qaqun,
I challange all your records, and I scold you,

'ej jIH muSIvmoHbe' DaHjaj, Hu' po je,
and today it cause to wonder me, the morning gets up also,

neplI'mo' ghu' wItu'bogh; nep je qun,
because the situation lies which we discover, it lies and the history also
lies,

ghurDI' 'ej nupDI' yo'HeylIj Dup, Do je.
When it increase and when it decrease the strategy of your apparent fleet,
velocity also.

'ach DaH jI'Ip, 'ej batlh not mu'woQvetlh lIj.
but now I swear, and it forgets that political power never with honor.

Su': reH jImatlh --- mughIjlaHbe'mo' 'etlhlIj.
Ready.  I am always loyal --- because your sword can can not scare me.

Back to archive top level