tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 21 01:36:11 1997

Re: The {nuq} of Earl

Steven Boozer wrote:
> In short questions, nuq is used inconsistently by Okrand. Is this a
> colloquial vs. formal stylistic variation? To review the canon:
>
> nuq tu'lu' What is there?  CK                   <----

This is as it should be, -- an existential construction.

> Dochvam nuq What is this?  CK                   <----
> Daqvam nuq What is this place?  CK              <----
> nuq mI'lIj What is your number? CK              <----

Interesting, isn't it?  There's not a word in _tKD_ to justify these.
One would expect {nuq 'oH Dochvam'e'/Daqvam'e'/mI'lIj'e'}.

> Sojvetlh 'oH nuq'e' What is that food?  PK      <----

I find this construction very weird.  It says in _tKD_ that {Y 'oH X'e'}
`X is Y' is to be understood as `As for X, it is Y', with a topicalised
subject.  That being the case, PK {Sojvetlh 'oH nuq'e'} comes across as
`As for what, it is that food', which doesn't make sense.  In principle
it should not be possible to topicalise an interrogative pronoun; the
very notions of topicalisation and interrogation are incompatible, as
the former means old information and the latter means absence of any.
Either the paraphrase in _tKD_ is wrong or the {... 'oH nuq'e'} idiom
follows some special rules.  In either case, though, I don't see what
makes this construction preferable to {nuq 'oH Sojvetlh'e'}.

> Dujvetlh 'oH nuq? What ship is that?  ST6       <----

Substandard dialect, maybe?  Cf. PK {sojvetz oh nuk}.

> "Question words (in this case, nuq what?) function the same way pronouns
> do in questions with to be in the English translations. Thus, the question
> yIH nuq? What is a tribble? is exactly parallel the statement yIH 'oH
> It is a tribble... The answer to the question yIH nuq? (What is a
> tribble?) would presumably be a definition or description of a tribble.
> [...]" (MSN Okrand BBS)

That sounds more like an answer to {nuq yIH} or {nuq 'oH yIH'e'}, with
`a tribble' as subject and the question word as complement.

--'Iwvan

--
"mIw'e' lo'lu'ta'bogh batlh tlhIHvaD vIlIH [...]
 poH vIghajchugh neH jIH, yab boghajchugh neH tlhIH"

Back to archive top level