tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 19 16:52:53 1997

KLBC: shades of meaning

I was coming up with random sentences for practice translation when I
thought about something. Here are two sentences I need commenting on:

Dajqu'bogh paq vIlaD.
I read a very interesting book.

Dajqu' paq vIlaDpu'bogh.
The book I read was very interesting.

These sentences are slightly different from one another in English; the
first is simply a statement, while the second seems to emphasize, at
least to me, the book which I read and not the book, say, that you read.
My questions are these: 1) do these sentences make sense grammatically
in Klingon first of all, and 2) do they show in Klingon the same shades
of meaning that they do in English?

Thanks....

-- Voqrel
Caryn and Lenny Law
email: [email protected]
The Observatory talker: rodeo.uwyo.edu 7000

Back to archive top level