tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 18 05:02:45 1997

speculative words

 >> Finally, I have a file of "speculative" words, whose meanings aren't
 >> defined (For example, {lItHa'} means "get off".  I speculate that {lIt}
 >> means "get on".  {nal} occurs in {be'nal}, {loDnal} and {nalqaD} and
 >> clearly means "mate, spouse" but does not occur alone in canon.)

 > About two years ago I asked about {lItHa'}'s having an opposite word
 > {lIt} and what it might mean.  The BG at that time said that there was
 > not necessarily any logical opposite.  He pointed out that English has
 > many words beginning with in-, dis-, un-, etc.  He used "inept" as his
 > prime example.  I have kept silent until now; but, I think maybe even
 > "inept" has a opposite: "apt."

I fully realize that my "speculative" list is just that: speculation.  It's
merely a way to keep track of those words that *almost* look like they make
sense.  If Dr. Okrand ever confirms an entry, I can pat myself on the back;
more likely, I'll find a theory shot down and just shrug my shoulders.

(And, for the record, my Webster's Unabridges gives the origin of "inept" as
"'in-' priv., and 'aptus,' suitable, fit."

 > So......  Good luck finding out the opposites you are thinking about
 > for your list.

It's not just opposites - in fact, few are opposites.  Most are syllables that
only occur (in canon) in complex nouns (like {nal} mentioned above).  I'll
give another example.

In the TNG episode "Heart of Glory", Worf tells of being orphaned on Khitomer.
 When one of the other Klingons asks him how old he was, Worf says "Before the
Age of Inclusion."  The reply is "That young."

Now, we know Worf was six when he was adopted by the Rozhenkos (ST Chronology,
revised edition, page 105).  We also know that the Age of Ascension is 15 (p.
113), and Okrand tells us that this is called the {nenghep} (TKD), and {nen}
means "be adult" (TKW).

The Age of Inclusion is the {peHghep}, and must happen between ages 7 and 15.
{peH} is not given anywhere in canon except in {peHghep}.  {ghep} apparently
means "age" (and wouldn't *that* be a nice useful word to have) but that's
speculation.  And here's where I get all the canon-heads mad at me.   <g>

NOTE:  THIS IS PURE SPECULATION.  I AM *NOT* ADVOCATING THE USE OF THIS WORD
IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.  DO NOT FLAME ME!!!!

What happens between childhood and adulthood?  Puberty, of course!  Could
{peH} possibly mean "be pubescent"?  Hmmmm....

NOTE AGAIN:  FORGET I EVER MENTIONED THIS.  IF IT TURNS INTO ANOTHER 'I' I
WILL HAVE TO COMMIT SUICIDE, AND I'D RATHER NOT DO THAT.

This thought excercise has been brought to you by the letter {gh}.

Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

... Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Back to archive top level