tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 22:44:52 1997

Re[2]: Okrandian Vulcan?

        'qIm tlhingan, tera'gnanpu' Esther Findling chargwI' QardaSI Hol.

        (All text as copied from the Kardassi Home page
        at:http//members.gnn.com/cardassia/prime.html ~esther.html)

        'qIm:
     From: Esther Findling, the creator of Kardassi
     For those whom I have not yet met, I am Gelet, the creator of the
     Cardassian (Kardassi) language.  At present, I have a lexicon of
     over 3,000 words; a grammar reference; a phrasebook; a guide to
     verb stress and conjugation; and an orthographic system (which,
     unfortunately, does not transmit via AOL).  I am currently
     sending lessons to a number of people on AOL.  The reason why I
     write Kardassi (one >s<, please) rather than Cardassian is that
     the transliteration system is an absolute one-to-one
     correspondence, and >c< is pronounced >ts< as in >shots<.
     FYI:   Kardassi is the adjectival form (masculine).
              Standing alone, it generally refers to the language
              (cans^ol, a masculine noun).  The feminine form is
              >kardasa<.
              Kardass^a is Cardassia (the planet); kar = all;
              das = land; the >-s^a< suffix indicates this is the
              name of a place.
              Kardass^an is a member of the Cardassian species.
              This may refer to either male or female; if you wish
              to specify a female, the feminine form is
              Kardass^anya (stress on >s^an< in both
              instances).
     If anyone would like to join the language lessons, please let me
     know.  There will be no charge for the materials (at this time);
     you will need to send stamps so that I can mail lessons to you;
     I'll provide envelopes (I like to do envelopes with graphics on
     them).  I hope that in return for Kardassi language lessons, my
     students will assist me by catching typos I've missed and
     suggesting lesson plans, as well as watching for any linguistic
     inconsistencies.  It will be helpful to me if students will tell
     me something of their own language background, i.e., high school
     student, two years of French; college junior, third-year Latin;
     UN interpreter, fluent Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Hindi, and
     Swahili.
     Feel free to pass my AOL address along to anyone who
     might be interested in learning Kardassi.
     [email protected]
     ||Introduction to Kardassi: The Cardassian Language||
     Copyright c 1995 by Esther Findling.

        PS:SuStel, I have gagh on my face. More research next time. TNX

        nuQneHvIp? nuQneH, vISaH'a'?
        {{:)*-Qevin

Subject: Re: Okrandian Vulcan?
Author:  [email protected] at Internet
Date:    1/15/97 6:38 PM

> When I read some people discussing the Vulcan language, it made me think.
 As
> we all know, Marc Okrand wrote the Vulcan dialogue from the movies; that
much
> is in the back of TKW.  I read somewhere (if I'm wrong, sorry) that he is
still
> developing it, with plans for a "Vulcan Dictionary" to be published.  Has

> anybody heard anything else along those lines?  If so, do you know when
it is
> planned on being released?  Hey, maybe then I will be able to speak four
> languages in even a rudimentary form (English, Spanish, tlhIngan Hol, and

> Vulcan)! :-)
>
> -mIqIraH

Unless Okrand has only recently changed his plans, no unfortunately this is
not true.  At the qep'a' wejDIch I had the opportunity to interview Okrand
for my clubs newsletter, and I asked him that very question.  He said that
there is a little bit more Vulcan than was used in the films, but not much.
 He did say that he someone had finished a complete Cardasian language, but
that he did not know who.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level