tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 15 16:38:40 1997

RE: KLBC: tea for two

January 15, 1997 6:30 AM EST, jatlh HurghwI':

> >> Q: Dargh DaneH'a'?  |  Do you want some tea?
> >> A: HIja'.           |  Yes.
> >> Q: nuq DawIv?       |  What kind?  (lit. "What do you choose?")
>
> If I said this to a Klingon, I have a feeling he would look at me funny and
> say <choQoylaHbe''a'? jIjatlhta', HIja', Dargh vIneH jay'!>
> In English, which is fairly loose, you can say "What do you choose" to mean
> "Which do you choose," but I have a feeling it won't work in Klingon.

I don't think there's a problem here.  Remember, in Klingon, context goes a
long way.  If you yelled at me like that, I'd figure you were trying to be
annoying, intentionally misinterpreting what I was asking for some bad joke.

> Here's a strange new idea for you:
> chay' Dargh DaneH?
> "How do you like your tea?"
> I realize I, too, may be basing this too much on the English, but it
> translates correctly. Of course, the answer could always be, <nom, 'ej

tuv?

I don't like it, although I can't exactly say why.  I'd rather say,
{DarghlIjDaq nuq DaneH?} "What do you want in your tea?"

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level