tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 14 20:41:36 1997

RE: KLBC: Happy New Year!

nujatlh SuStel:

|January 13, 1997 9:57 PM EST, jatlh Voragh:
|
|> If you must admit uncertainty, though, it's simplest to just put -law' on
|> the verb: DaHjaj javvatlh jabbI'ID vIghajlaw'!
|
|This may mean that you're unsure as to whether you *have* 600 messages, not
|how many you have.

As opposed to what? Either I have 600 messages or none at all?

To quote TKD 4.2.6 (p.60), emphasis added:

<<This suffix expresses *any* uncertainty on the speaker's part and may
even be thought of as meaning "I think" or "I suspect". Thus the previous
two slentences could be translated "I think it's empty" [chImlaw'], "I
suspect that he/she is controlling us" [nuSeHlaw'].>>

If I had said, for example, DaHjaj javvatlh jabbI'ID vIghajbej, then I
would be claiming I had *exactly* 600 (perhaps I counted them). Remember
the explanation in Power Klingon about -bej being used "when there is no
doubt in your mind as to the accuracy of the statement".

Of course if for some reason I wanted to stress that this was a considered
estimate, I'd say so and use {noH}:  DaHjaj javvatlh jabbI'ID vIHevpu' 'e'
vInoH!

Voragh

Back to archive top level