tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 13 10:48:45 1997

Re: Paramount Hol

mIqIraH wrote:

:For all those interested, the "Paramount Hol" page is revised, up, and alive!
:There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 entries now, with the usual
:information.  New to the revision is SOURCE CITATIONS, so you can refer to
:taped episodes for reviewal, and in many cases a good laugh! {{:-)
:
:For those who aren't aware of what my Paramount Hol page is, let me
explain.  I
:have catalogued and cross-referenced some 150 words, phrases, and sayings from
:the Star Trek series and movies.  Most are not good {tlhIngan Hol}, but they
:are there nonetheless.  The purpose of the list is twofold.  First, to provide
:a reference for writers or the curious-minded as to what Paramount has done in
:the past.  Secondly, I hope the more serious and seasoned students will enjoy
:seeing Paramount's follies in their frequent misuse of {tlhIngan Hol}.  The
:page is at:
:    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/6559/parhol.htm

mIqIraH qavan,

Just took a look at your Paramount Hol page. Looks good. I printed it out
and I'll examine it in some detail tonight and compare it to what I've been
able to collect over the years. (You didn't think I catalogue only tlhIngan
Hol, did you?)

BTW, take a look at the MSN Star Trek Compendium site. They have added a
"Klingon Data Base" chock full of Paramount Hol vocabulary and citations
taken *from the scripts* so that we know they are spelled "correctly" (a few
of them are a little different than the hastily supplied/typed closed
captions). What really makes this site worth exploring is that Paramount
provided MSN with the *translations* of the lines as they were given to the
actors (so they would know how to read them). These translations were never
added to the episodes as subtitles, so we never knew about them.

:yo' qIjDaq batlh botu'jaj!
:
:KLBC: Did I get that right?  I was trying to say, "May you (plural) find honor
:with the Black Fleet," but I'm not sure if my usage of -Daq was appropriate.
:I understand that it is not a literal translation, but these things rarely
:are.  Is there canon for this famous line?

Unfortunately, no. Although there may be a Black Fleet where enemies may
fight and kill each other forever (a good thing to Klingon warriors!) in
Sto'Vo'Kor, Paramount has never affirmed this. The Black Fleet is from John
Ford's version of the Klingon warrior afterlife as detailed in his _The
Final Reflection_ and the FASA Klingon modules he wrote (especially the two
reference volumes on the Klingon Empire). I don't know whether he ever gave
it a klingonaase name.

-- Voragh
(Ca'Non Master of the Klingons)

Back to archive top level