tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 17:54:39 1997

RE: "To Be or Not to Be"

January 11, 1997 1:15 AM EST, jatlh Bob Asselin:

> Hello all, I'm new to the list.
>
> In klingon how would you say  "There can be only one"

Hi, Bob!  I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  My job is to help
beginners learn the language.  If you've got a question, put "KLBC" in the
subject, and I'll give it priority.  Also, it means that I've got first dibs
on answering grammatical points on it.  After I respond, others may as well.

However, I don't like to just give away answers without the student giving a
little effort!  Besides, I need to know what you do or do not know, so I can
help.

Someone else has already answered this post (against standing orders, I might
add . . . tsk, tsk!), and his answer was what I would have said.  The main
point is that there is no verb "to be" in Klingon, so you have to think
carefully about what you actually *mean*.  The context of "There can be only
one," is that only one Immortal will remain alive for the Prize.  Well, the
solution to this problem is to use the verb {ratlh} "remain."  If you haven't
seen that other post yet, can you work out a good sentence?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level