tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 15:16:08 1997

RE: Sorta new

January 10, 1997 12:42 PM EST, jatlh Thornton Rose:

> Greetings!

Hi!  I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  I'm here to help out the
beginners, and to correct grammar and give suggestions on improving it.  If
you've got questions or would like to direct your posts at beginners, put
"KLBC" in the subject header!

I'm sure you've seen it, but visit
http://www.kli.org
which also has a link to
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

This will have lots of information to answer questions.

> Anyway, I am trying to choose a Klingon name for myself and would like
> some suggestions to go along with my own thoughts. My full name is
> Thornton Terrell Rose, and my profession is software developer. So far,
> I like "te'roS", "troS", "So'roS", and "terel".

I like the sound of {te'roS} and {So'roS}.  {troS} doesn't quite work in
Klingon phonology, and {terel} isn't quite as powerful.

Still, as it says in the FAQ, the choice of names is yours.

> Also, I would like to ask some questions:

jItoy'!

> 1. What would be the Klingon way to answer the phone? Just say "nuqneH"?

Absolutely!  We did this at qep'a' wejDIch!  It was a blast!  I also do it at
home when I know who's going to call and they know about Klingon.  (Too bad
none of them are willing to learn it.)

> 2. What is the Klingon equivalent to "End Transmission" at the end
> of a message or communique?

The most Klingon thing to do is to just end it.  However, we've often seen
special endings (like Brigadier Kerla saying "This transmission ends . . .
now."  You might use the word {pItlh}.  Certainly, a true Klingon would only
put relevant information.  I add my name (relevant), "Beginners' Grammarian"
(because someone asked me to and so that beginners can identify the BG), and
the stardate.  (Okay, I do that for fun, but it also has a purpose: I often
need to compare the time that I receive a message from the list to the current
time.  Usually, I cannot trust the header information, because I never know
where or when a message may have gotten stuck on the Internet.)

> 3. How do I say "This is a test."? (Perhaps re-phrase as "I am testing."?)

Good.  {jItob}.  There's obviously no point in saying {jIDaj}, unless you are
already finished and have learned nothing.

> 4. How would I ask someone "What kind of tea do you want?"?

Give it a try yourself!  Let me warn you: you cannot say {nuq Dargh DaneH}.
Do not combine a question word with a noun like this.  Rather, consider making
the sentence into a command . . .  here's a word to help you: {wIv}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level