tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 15:16:00 1997

RE: KLBC: Questionable Constructions

January 10, 1997 10:43 PM EST, jatlh [email protected]:

> I am considering {tlhIngan Hol pongwIj} which is a variation of the Arabic
> name Dawud. Before I consulted TKD I rendered the following: *Da'ud*,
> *Da'wuD*, and *Daw'uD*. After consulting TKD I found that {Da} is
"behave/act
> in manner of", {Da'} is "corporal", {'ut} is "be essential/necessary", and
> {Daw'} is "revolt/revolution".  Would it be too unorthodox to alter {'ut}
> into {'uD} and still expect to retain a remnant of the translated meaning?
>  And would it also be too unorthodox to combine the glottal stops of {Daw'}
> and {'ut} into {Daw'ut} or should it stay as {Daw''ut}.  Or would it not
> matter since I can choose to name myself { ' } if I were a Pakled {petaQ}?

The last question is pointed in the right direction.  It's your name.  It
doesn't need to mean anything.  It can sound like anything you want.

All of the different suggestions you made above sound different.  Listen to
them and pick the one you like best, or come up with something different.

> My brother and I have started calling the {meqletlh} (spelled right?)

We have no official pronunciation.

> the
> "betleH breaker"; and I have considered giving a Klingon character the title
> "Tribble Killer".  (I have used {HoHwI'yIH} in the KLI MUSH, although this
is
> a temporary name.) I have tried to write these in {tlhIngan Hol} but am
> unsure if I am doing it right.  I know the words by themselves -- {ghorwI'}
> "breaker", {yIH} "Tribble", {HoHwI'} "killer" -- but am uncertain about the
> constructions. Would they appear as {betleHghorwI'} and {HoHwI'yIH} /
> {yIHHoHwI'}, or as {betleH ghorwI'} and {HoHwI' yIH} / {yIH HoHwI'}?  What
is
> the translated difference between {yIHHoHwI'} and {HoHwI'yIH}?  Would the
> phrases "Tribble Killer" and "Killer of Tribbles" have the same translation?
> If not, would the latter need a {-mey} suffix?

Okay.  "Tribble Killer" would come out as {yIH HoHwI'}.  You *could* try to
make a noun compound, {yIHHoHwI'}, but I'd only do that for words which would
obviously have a unique meaning.  {jolpa'} for "transporter room," but
{yIHHoHwI'} for "tribble-killer"?  I wouldn't do it myself.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level