tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 11:00:16 1997

Re: KLBC: Questionable Constructions

> qaStaH nuq, SuStel?
>
> I have two inquiries which I will expand upon in two relatively short
> paragraphs.
>
> {wa'DIch}
> I am considering {tlhIngan Hol pongwIj} which is a variation of the Arabic
> name Dawud. Before I consulted TKD I rendered the following: *Da'ud*,
> *Da'wuD*, and *Daw'uD*. After consulting TKD I found that {Da} is "behave/act

A tlhIngan name does *not* have to mean something. All the 'canonical'
names from the series' don't actually have meanings - so don't feel
bound to something that has meaning, *unless* you wish it to :)

[snip]

> {cha'DIch}
> My brother and I have started calling the {meqletlh} (spelled right?) the
> "betleH breaker"; and I have considered giving a Klingon character the title
> "Tribble Killer".  (I have used {HoHwI'yIH} in the KLI MUSH, although this is
> a temporary name.) I have tried to write these in {tlhIngan Hol} but am
> unsure if I am doing it right.  I know the words by themselves -- {ghorwI'}
> "breaker", {yIH} "Tribble", {HoHwI'} "killer" -- but am uncertain about the
> constructions. Would they appear as {betleHghorwI'} and {HoHwI'yIH} /
> {yIHHoHwI'}, or as {betleH ghorwI'} and {HoHwI' yIH} / {yIH HoHwI'}?  What is
> the translated difference between {yIHHoHwI'} and {HoHwI'yIH}?  Would the
> phrases "Tribble Killer" and "Killer of Tribbles" have the same translation?
> If not, would the latter need a {-mey} suffix?

Well, yes, they probably would. If 'Tribble Killer' were singular, then
the latter would be different, but in English we would understand the
word 'Tribble' in this usage to be plural. Of course, in tlhIngan,
plurals are often left out where they can be assumed, so the {-mey} is
unnecessary :)

> [email protected]

qSeroHS veyn (which comes from the greek 'dry' :) [and see below])
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level