tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 19:42:28 1997

KLBC: Questionable Constructions

qaStaH nuq, SuStel?

I have two inquiries which I will expand upon in two relatively short
paragraphs.

{wa'DIch}
I am considering {tlhIngan Hol pongwIj} which is a variation of the Arabic
name Dawud. Before I consulted TKD I rendered the following: *Da'ud*,
*Da'wuD*, and *Daw'uD*. After consulting TKD I found that {Da} is "behave/act
in manner of", {Da'} is "corporal", {'ut} is "be essential/necessary", and
{Daw'} is "revolt/revolution".  Would it be too unorthodox to alter {'ut}
into {'uD} and still expect to retain a remnant of the translated meaning?
 And would it also be too unorthodox to combine the glottal stops of {Daw'}
and {'ut} into {Daw'ut} or should it stay as {Daw''ut}.  Or would it not
matter since I can choose to name myself { ' } if I were a Pakled {petaQ}?

{cha'DIch}
My brother and I have started calling the {meqletlh} (spelled right?) the
"betleH breaker"; and I have considered giving a Klingon character the title
"Tribble Killer".  (I have used {HoHwI'yIH} in the KLI MUSH, although this is
a temporary name.) I have tried to write these in {tlhIngan Hol} but am
unsure if I am doing it right.  I know the words by themselves -- {ghorwI'}
"breaker", {yIH} "Tribble", {HoHwI'} "killer" -- but am uncertain about the
constructions. Would they appear as {betleHghorwI'} and {HoHwI'yIH} /
{yIHHoHwI'}, or as {betleH ghorwI'} and {HoHwI' yIH} / {yIH HoHwI'}?  What is
the translated difference between {yIHHoHwI'} and {HoHwI'yIH}?  Would the
phrases "Tribble Killer" and "Killer of Tribbles" have the same translation?
If not, would the latter need a {-mey} suffix?

pItlh!
reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj!!
tlhIngan pong jIghajbe'
[email protected]