tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 10:53:57 1997

Re: Speaking of new words...

:Speaking of new words... Those of you at the qep'a' last year may recall I
:lost most of my Annotated Dictionary files in a hard drive crash.  I'm
:*finally* done re-entering all of TKD's vocabulary and I'm working through the
:new words list.  Soon, I'll be ready to print version 1.0 of Qob's Annotated
:Klingon Dictionary (For Personal Use Only).  Which brings me to a problem.
:
:I haven't been able to come up with any decent translation of "Annotated"!
:
:At the moment, my "test" title page reads {Qob tlhIngan mu'ghom poDHa'}.  I
:figured that anything "unclipped" *ought* to be "annotated", but that might
:only make sense in a backfit.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
:
:Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')

Well, I call my own AKD a {tlhIngan Hol Sachlu'bogh mu'ghom}, i.e. an
"expanded" Klingon dictionary. I suppose you could also call it a
{QIjlu'bogh mu'ghom}, an "explanatory" or "commented upon" dictionary (what
Russians call a tolkovyi slovar') depending on how much extra material
you've added to the integrated Klingon-English vocabulary list.

(BTW, am I using -bogh correctly? -- it doesn't look quite right now that I
type it.)

For instance, through the wonders of cut-and-paste I've included *all* the
relevent attestations from canon to *each* vocabulary entry, turning my AKD
in effect into a concordance and usage guide. I've also added the relevant
explanatory bits from Okrand's works (TKD, CK, PK, TKW, KCD and now MSN) as
well as particularly good explanations and even new coinings that have
appeared and are widely used on this list and from a few of the novels
(properly attributed, of course). This is, by definition, a work-in-progress
(over 3 years now) and is currently some 163 pages long, last time I looked.
For reference, this is the source of all of my annoyingly detailed
quotations from canon. {{;)

I'm planning on attending qep'a' loSDIch and I'll bring copies and printouts
of all my files to compare with what others have done. Maybe we can even
have a session on Klingon lexicography!

As to {poD}, to me {tlhIngan Hol poD} is "Clipped Klingon" whereas {tlhIngan
Hol poDHa'} would be more like "formal" or "standard Klingon", with all of
the affixes in the right places and the syntax correct. "Unclipped" in
English feels more like {poDbe'} used in a purely descriptive sense, for
example: {poDbe' tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghvam} "This Klingon sentence isn't
'clipped'."
Maybe someone should go ask Maltz!

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level