tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 10 08:20:53 1997

Re: Hello (son of)

peHruS wrote:
:In a message dated 97-01-09 10:12:38 EST, voragh writes:
:
:<< So how would you say "orphan"?
:
:I don't know either.  But SoSchIm is "surrogate mother."  Wanna try puqchIm?
:
:Of course, when we do not have a particular word in Klingon, we make up a
:phrase to describe the concept, giving:  SoS vav je Hutlhbogh puq

All of which avoids the original problem: what to say when tradition calls
for the "X, son/daughter of Y" formula when you don't know--or prefer not to
use--your father's name?

"X, vay' puqloD" is probably be the most neutral, whereas "X, pagh puqloD"
could be used if you were referring to, say, some petaQ who abandoned a
pregnant girlfriend and was never heard from again. It will be interesting
to see how B'Elanna eventually refers to her lineage since her (so far
unnamed) Human father abandoned her (also unnamed) Klingon mother on Kesik
IV when B'Elanna was a small child.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level