tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 09 15:39:15 1997

RE: KLBC: KLI jInmolmey

January 09, 1997 10:58 AM EST, jatlh Voqrel:

> "Bible" "Shakespeare" je mugh KLI 'e' vISov.
> jInmolmey pIm mugh 'e' Sov'a' vay'?
>
> DaqDaq "FTP" jIjaHpu' 'ej "Aesop's Fables" vISampu'.

"ftp," being an English word, is a little difficult to use, but I believe it
should come *before* the word {DaqDaq}, as if it were a noun.  Even if it were
a verb, however, the {-Daq} would still go on it.

> mughlu'pu'bogh "Aesop's Fables" vIlaD 'e' Daj.

To say "Aesop's Fables which one has translated," remember that with the
suffix {-lu'} there is no real subject; it is general or unknown.  Yet you
have placed "Aesop's Fables" in the subject position of the relative clause
verb {mughlu'pu'bogh}.  It must be the object.

Aesop's Fables mughlu'pu'bogh vIlaD.
I read Aesop's Fables which has been translated.

Also, you have tried to use {'e' Daj} for "it is interesting."  What exactly
is "it"?  Apparantly, you mean that reading Aesop's Fables was interesting.
But you can't put a whole sentence in the subject position!  Only the object
position.  That's what {'e'} is replacing.

"Aesop's Fables" mughlu'pu'bogh vIlaD.  Daj wanI'vam.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level