tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 07 17:36:27 1997

RE: KLBC: yuQ vIchen

January 07, 1997 1:07 PM, jatlh nejwI':

> SuStel qavan

vaj Hovmey Davan!  (Just kidding.)

> yuQ vInarghmoHlI'
> batlh vIchenmeH qeSlIj vItlhob

{chen} means "take form."  {chen} + {-moH} gives you "cause to take form," or
"make."  You want to add {-moH} to this, as well as in the subject line of
this message.

*What* are you asking my advice?  :)  So far, it seems that {tlhob} does not
take an object.  Rather, you can stick a quotation on it at either end, and
this does not count as an object.

{qeSlIj vISuqmeH jItlhob} is one way to say this.

> K: nejwI'pu' 'Iw Say'meH chIrgh
> E: Temple for cleaning the blood of seekers
> (Temple of blood-cleansing, which prepares one for a foresight ritual)

{Say'} means "be clean," not "clean."  To say that you're *causing* something
to be clean, you need {-moH}:

nejwI'pu' 'Iw Say'moHmoH chIrgh

> K: cha'nob ngabmoH lam tujqu'
> E: Very hot dirt makes ritual gifts disappear
> (Sacrificial boiling-mud pit)

*shrug*  I like to *keep* my presents, but . . .

maj.

> K: naDev puH ghomtaH bIQ
> E: Here water continuously encounters land
> (Embankment)

maj.

> K: naDev pIj leS Dujmey
> E: Vessels often rest hereabouts
> (Harbour)

That's an interesting metaphor, ships "resting."  If that's what you really
wanted, it's fine.  If not, perhaps

naDev pIj vergh Dujmey

or even just

vergh

Or perhaps they don't actually dock:

naDev pIj loStaH Dujmey

> I've been toying with words in a vain attempt to make a "boat", or
> "sailboat" (SuSDuj?) and a "fishing-harbour"
> Any ideas?

Well, two words on MSN, {veSDuj} and {qughDuj} specifically state that these
are space vessels.  Still, I don't know if the word {Duj} refers only to a
space vessel, or any kind of transport, or only what we call "ships" in
English.

Assuming for a moment that it's not only "space vessel," I'd say that {SuSDuj}
is pretty good, although not very specific.  I thought of {bIQDuj} (as I feel
sure that you did as well), but decided that made me think of a submarine.
Perhaps {bIQ ghor Duj}?

"Fishing harbor"?  {bIQ Ha'DIbaH wammeH vengHom}?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level