tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 07 07:45:20 1997

SPEAK AND HEAR KLINGON LIVE ON THE WEB!!!

I hope I've got your attention; this is exciting news!

As mentioned in the latest issue of HolQeD (page 11 if you have it handy),
the Klingon Language Institute has been working with OnLive! Technologies
to bring interactive Klingon speech to our website. Well, we're ready to
begin.

Join Mark Shoulson and myself live and out loud, January 8, 1997, Wednesday
night, 7pm EST as we launch the world's first online Klingon chat room. I'm
not talking about your familiar IRC chats, this will NOT involve typing.
Instead you'll speak and hear Klingon!

This is the first of what will be regular sessions in the KLI's new
"Talker" room. Over the next several months we'll be hosting regular
classes and discussions, everything from beginning lessons to advanced
topics of grammatical complexity. You'll have the chance to speak with some
of the KLI's grammarians, to participate in demonstrations and training of
correct Klingon pronunciation, and perhaps most importantly you'll have the
opportunity to develop your "Klingon ear."

This new Klingon Talker page will be available around the clock, much like
the KLI's MUSH, and you can drop in any time you like and visit with other
Klingon speakers who happen by. Up to 14 people can occupy the virtual room
at one time, and if it fills up the software automatically creates a new
room for the overflow (and yes, if THAT one fills up, it creates yet
another, on and on). The formally scheduled classes and other events will
be announced on the Klingon Talker page
(http://www.kli.org/kli/talker.html) itself, and the times will vary to
accomodate the many different time zones of KLI members and other Klingon
speakers.  But feel free to visit the site any time; we hope to build up a
steady stream of folks from around the world who just might be there to
chat with you in Klingon.

Access to this new feature requires some very specific hardware
requirements.  I've listed them below (they are also listed on the KLI's
talker page). If you meet these requirements I strongly encourage you to
visit the KLI's talker page now and download the client software that makes
this real-time interaction possible. Install the software, and then join us
and other Klingonists for this exciting use of internet technology.

Talk to you soon,

Lawrence

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To use the KLI Talker page on our website you will need the following:

       Pentium Processor
       Windows 95 windowing system
       At least 16MB of memory
       SoundBlaster 16 or compatible 16-bit sound card with Windows 95
       driver
       14.4k bps modem (28.8k bps recommended)
       Microphone and speakers (or headset)
       At least 13MB free disk space
       VGA or SVGA support
       Netscape Navigator (version 3.0 or higher) or Microsoft Windows
       Internet Explorer (version 3.0 of higher)

The URL for the KLI Talker page is http://www.kli.org/kli/talker.html

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  :: http://www.kli.org ::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level