tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 06 06:56:28 1997

Re: ' between vowels

ghItlh SuStel
> January 04, 1997 4:20 AM, jatlh 'Iwvan:
>
>> Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
>>
>> [re {ta-DI-'oS} vs *{ta-DI'-oS}]
>> > I suppose you could work at making the syllable break
>> > noticeable, but most of the time I doubt it would be.
>>
>> In phonology there is something known as the Maximal Onset Principle,
<SNIP>
>> in such a way that as many consonants as possible form a syllable with
>> the following rather than the preceding vowel.  A corollary is that a
>> single intervocalic consonant always goes with the following vowel,
>> because a syllable can always begin with a single consonant.
>
>I have a warning to give here. There are cases where Marc Okrand has gone out
>of his way to avoid emulating Terran languages.
<SNIP>
     I have a reminder to give here.  This is not a Klingon word we're
talking about, it's a transliteration of a greek word.  I question how
applicable any knowledge of Klingon is to the situation.  Also, it's a
name, which even in Klingon do not follow the normal rules.  Furthermore,
we ahve perfectly good canon that answers the question since in this
particular question, it is I, not Okrand quv who has the say, since it's
my name.  The pronunciation (determined by sitting and saying it out
loud for about 15 minutes) is <ta - DI' - 'oS>.  I have spoken.  (OOO!
the power! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *erhm* sorry.)

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |