tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 18:13:55 1997

RE: Klingon Anthem

January 05, 1997 6:58 PM, jatlh chj:

> I am new to this mailing list and am not very good at Klingon, but I do
> want to learn.

Great!  I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  If you have any
questions or want to talk on a beginner's level, just put "KLBC" in the
subject line.  As BG, I'll be the first allowed to correct your grammar.  And
please don't correct other people's KLBC grammar until I've had a chance!

If you haven't, take a look at these important sites:

The KLI:
http://www.kli.org

The FAQ:
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.html

> Looking at the anthem below please can you tell me what "qeleS", "yapo"
>  and "mapo" mean.  I have TKD but can find no clues there.

The words you are referring to are merely someone's transcription of what they
heard in the anthem sung on the Star Trek: Klingon CD-ROM game.  No one can
really make out more than a few words of what they're saying, so don't be
discouraged if you have trouble with it, to.

What's written as {qeleS} may have been {qeylIS}, or "Kahless," as in
"Kahless, the Unforgettable."  The other words I hear in the anthem as well,
but they don't seem to mean anything.  Who knows?  Perhaps they are
nonsense-words thrown into the song!  Maybe Klingons do that!  (I doubt it,
though.)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian