tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 18:13:25 1997

RE: KLBC: hello

January 05, 1997 5:21 PM, jatlh SuSvaj:

> > Actually, it's not your sentence, but I'd like to comment on SuSvaj's
> words.
> > He uses {nuq QeD} to mean "which science."  This is one of those times
> when
> > charghwI' would say, "Recast!"
> >
> > QeD DaHaDlI'bogh yIngu'.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the criticism here.  Please elaborate.

There is no reason to believe that we can say {nuq QeD} for "which science?"

A typical problem:  "What food do you want?"  Someone may try to translate it
as {nuq Soj DaneH?}.  But {nuq} should be replacing a noun, not modifying one.
 Recast to {Soj DaneHbogh yIngu'}, or something like it.

Perhaps one could make the case that the answer to

nuq QeD DaHaDlI'?      would be

mI' QeD vIHaDlI'.

In this case, it seems as if {nuq} really is replacing a noun.  I don't know
if I like it though.

I'm sure I'm not explaining this to satisfaction.  My brain seems to be
running slow tonight.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian