tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 17:12:16 1997

KLBC: Short exchange

I've been thinking about a statement posted by *SuStel* a while ago about
using actual meaningful sentences in Klingon, as opposed to just translating
words at random.  Below are some translations.

-----

The bartender asks, "What do you want?"
The customer says, "I'll have Romulan Ale."
The bartender says, "That will be 6 credits.  Can you pay?"
The customer says, "Yes.  Give it to me now!"
The bartender gives a glass to the customer.
The bartender says, "Pay now!"
The customer pays the bartender.
The customer drinks and leaves the bar.
-----

<<nuqneH>>, jatlh chom.
<<romuluSngan HIq>>, jatlh je'wI'.
<<jav DeQ.  DaDIllaH'a'?>>, jatlh chom.
<<HIja'.  DaH jIHvaD yInob!>>, jalth je'wI'.
je'wI'vaD ngaSwI' nob chom.
<<DaH yIDIl!>>, jatlh chom.
chomvaD DIl je'wI'.  [[ I feel that this one is weak, but it's all I could
gome up with ]]
tlhutlh, vaj tach mej je'wI'.
-----

Comments?  Suggestions?