tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 10:41:39 1997

Words of Honour

>> ... for a "culture" that is concerned with the many forms of honour,
>> one would think that more words would be found for the various shades of
>> meaning

>Nudge all you like, but I don't agree with this kind of "linguistic
>relativity" argument (you're not one of those people who still think
>Eskimos have hundreds of words for kinds of snow, are you?).

  Do I sense a personal attack here? It makes perfectly good sense for a
culture to develop words for items and concepts that are highly valued or
used extensively.

>Consider the word "love" in English.

  An excellent choice...

>Think of all the vastly different
>kinds of love we can invoke with this love.  I love my wife, I love my dog,
>I love the way air smells on a cold autumn morning when I'm out for a walk,
>I love deepdish pizza with sausage,

Ahem: Adore, treasure, relish, etc., are all far more appropriate, just to
scratch the surface. There are those people, statistics tell us, who use a
vocabulary of about 500 words to get by in life. Though they get by, this
does not mean that more appropriate words do not exist in the language - it
means only that those people have chosen not to learn nor use them.

The average poodle can learn to recognize about 200 spoken words. I would
like to think we can do better. As a species who love to talk, and to brag
(when in Klingon mode) I stick with my original premise: a culture that
values the ideals of honour and the various actions associated with
honourable acts would be expected to have developed a variety of words to
describe those many differences.

>cheese.  I assure you I don't love these things in the same way, nor would
>any native English speaker be confused.

  Not confused; bored perhaps. That would be a very limited use of the language.

> The subtlety is understood at the cultural level.

  Subtletly? Sounds pretty basic to me. I am looking forward to watching the
development of this language. It is in its infant stages, I think.

- Jerryl E.
---

Back to archive top level