tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 12:48:34 1997

RE: name question

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, SuStel et al. wrote:

|January 04, 1997 6:47 PM, jatlh SuSvaj:
|> > What about just {voq}?
|>
|> *voq* isn't a noun.
|
|So?
|
|> It means "To have faith in".
|
|What rule says one must choose a noun as a name?

lugh SuStel net Sov. Besides, it will become a proper noun (at least here
on the list) *if* Caryn choses it as her nom de klin, just like any other
female name beginning with "V":  Vixis, Valkris, Vekma, Valeris.

OTOH, I see that Klingon names ending in "-ok" (in their Federation
Standard transcription) have all been male:  Ch'Pok, Divok, K'mpok,
Kaybok, Martok, Pok, Telok, Thopok.  Have I missed any?

|I suggested {voq} while thinking along the same lines as how I chose *my*
|name.  I had an idea, but then allowed the sounds to change until I had
|something which *sounded* good (to me).  Beyond the initial idea, I wasn't
|concerned too much with the translation.

jIQochbe'.  My own name doesn't mean anything either. I was just playing
around with a list of Klingon PNs that Paramount has used in the episodes.
I liked the sound of "Morag" (the Klingon commander from "Aquiel") and
"Vagh" (Klingon military governor of Krios from "The Mind's Eye") and
merged them. Result: a typical "Paramount Hol" name. I also capitalize it
just so no one tries to analyze it as vor/vo' + ragh.

Voragh

Back to archive top level