tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 04 15:56:16 1997

RE: KLBC's RE: First Post

January 2, 1997 20:32 EST, jatlh SuStel;

>"David" 'oH je pongwIj'e', 'ej naDev "David Baron" tu'lu' je.
>mamISchoHbe'meH, tugh tlhIngan pong yIwIv!

{luq.}  I am narrowing down the choices, and until I choose one I will sign
my postings with my e-mail address "[email protected]".

>Oh, you seem to be missing some sentences that appear in your English, like
>{wej tlhIngan pongwIj vIwIv.}

{HIja'.}  When I re-arranged the sentences I forgot to "paste" that one after
I "cut" it, and I also must admit that I forgot to use the {wej} so my
sentence was probably incomplete giving no reference to the possibility of
choosing one in the future by leaving off the "not yet."

>What you've got here is a sentence-as-object sentence. "I plan that I use
[email protected] often."
>The first sentence is {pIj <[email protected]> vIlo'}.     ......
>The second sentence, "I plan that," is { 'e' vInab}.
>pIj <[email protected]> vIlo'taH 'e' vInab.

{qayaj.}  I am still in the process of grasping these constructs and when to
use them.  I am reading and re-reading sections one through seven and
retaining more each time.

>>De'wI'mey ghojmoHtaHbogh DuSaQDaq ghojwI' jIH.
>
>One way of interpreting this sentence is "I am a student in a school which
is causing computers to learn"
>Now, unless you are talking about AI, this doesn't make sense.
>
>Here are a couple of ideas:
>
>DuSaQDaq jIghunlaHmeH jIHaDlI'
>At school, I am studying to be able to program. (That is what you're
learning to do, isn't it?)

Yes, I am enrolled in a technical college that teaches computer programming
(unfortunately not AI); but it also teaches hardware/software configuration,
upgrade and maintenance, diagnostics and building them from the parts up.  So
I was trying to use a broad ranging phrase like "they teach computers" but
that doesn't seem to come across well in {tlhIngan Hol}.  This is most likely
an example of when a sentence-as-object sentence should be used, but I'm not
sure what the first one would be (before the {'e'} ).

>Until we get an official word on this from Marc Okrand, I advocate care.

Do you mean an official word for "Artificial Intelligence"?

>>[Replaying From Time Index 00-01-13]
>
>You've been playing Star Trek: Klingon too, eh?

{HIja'.}  "You will not only learn how to think as a Klingon, you will learn
how to BE Klingon!" - Qang ghawran
And you will learn to speak Chancellor O'Reilly's dialect, which doesn't
always conform to Okrand the Unforgettable's dialect.

>Depending on who you talk to, there are various levels of "canon"

Back to archive top level