tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 17:55:03 1997

Re: Translation, please comment

ghItlh SuSvaj
> ghItlh taDI'oS
>
> > la somma Sapienza e il primo Amore.
> > Wisdom Supreme, and Primal Love.
> > valqu'ghach, parmaq wa'DIch je.
>
> To me, primal implies "primitive" rather than "first."  I would suggest:
     I had that thought myself, but I was going off the 'primo'.  Is this
not an ordinal number in Italian?

> 	valqu'ghach'a', parmaq lutlh je
     I don't think that 'primitive' is the thing here.  It would seem
rather to refer to God being the source of Love - the Primal Love.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |