tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 14:49:15 1997

Translation, please comment

     I am translating the inscription above the gates of Hell from Dante's
Inferno.  Never mind why.  I don't know enough Italian (zero) to work from
the original, but I'm including it anyway, along with the English that I
actually worked from.

Per me si va nella citt dolente;
Through me is the way into the doleful city;
veng 'IQDaq 'ellu'meH jIH mulo'

per me si va nell' eterno dolore;
through me the way into the eternal pain;
mevbe'bogh 'oy'Daq 'ellu'meH mulo'.

per me si va tra la perduta gente.
through me the way among the people lost.
lujbogh ghotmey Samlu'meH mulo'.

Giustizia mosse il mio alto Fattore;
Justice moved my High Maker;
jIH chenmoHbogh quv pon ruv.

fecemi la divina Potestate,
Divine Power made me,
muchenmoH HoS quv,

la somma Sapienza e il primo Amore.
Wisdom Supreme, and Primal Love.
valqu'ghach, parmaq wa'DIch je.

Dinanzi a me non fur cose create,
Before me were no things created,
jIchenpa' chen pagh,

se non eterne, ed io eterno duro:
but eternal; and eternal I endure;
'ach mevbe'bogh Dochmey chenta', 'ej jImevbe'.

lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch' entrate.
abandon all hope, ye that enter.
naDev bI'elDI', bItul 'e' yImevqu'.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |