tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 01 17:11:28 1997

RE: Klingon CD-Rom

>> The Klingon language has a word for
>> "thank" while not having words for "please" and "you're welcome" because
>> Klingons do show respect and gratitude.
>
>In English, "please" and "you're welcome" also show respect and sometimes
>grattitude.  Why then do Klingons not have the words?  Because they do not
>function in any useful capacity.  They don't *mean* anything.  Certainly not
>to a Klingon.  "Gratitude" or "thanks" *does* mean something to a Klingon, but
>only in the appropriate situation.  Honor and victory are what are most
>important to a Klingon, and these should be the things he appreciates.

Interesting story here on  the word "please".

A certain  friend of mine asked me how to say "please"  in the context of
the question "Would you like chocolate in your raqtajino?"

This particular friend prides herself on being a "Princess"  and says the word
"please" with such a sence of intitlement (and with a smile) that most Klingon
warriors would  gladdly give up thier chocolate for her.

The translation i gave her was "yIta'"  but to understand why this
would be amusing is in hearing her tonality when she says it.

Try to imagine Marilon Monroe saying "yIta'" in the same way she sang
"Happy Birthday"  to JFK.

DaraQ
(aka david barron)

Back to archive top level