tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 01 18:52:15 1997

KLBC: First Post

David 'oH pongwIj'e'
tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' chu' jIH
pIj {[email protected]} lo' nabtaH jIH
De'wI'mey ghojmoHtaHbogh DuSaQDaq ghojwI' jIH
ben cha'maH cha' jIbogh

[Universal Translator Engaged]   [Replaying From Time Index 00-01-13]

My Earth name is David.
I have not chosen my Klingon name.
I am a new speaker of the Klingon language.
I am planning to use {[email protected]} often.
I am a student at a college which teaches computers.
I was born twenty-two years ago.

I live in California, approximately 4-6 hours north of Los Angeles County.
I am a proud owner/user of TKD, CK, PK, TKW, KCD, KLI and now
{[email protected]}.  I came to an appreciation of the Klingon culture
while enjoying the films ST3, ST6 and more intensely with the TNG and DS9
series due largely to the powerful portrayals of Christopher Lloyd,
Christopher Plummer, Michael Dorn, Robert O'Reilly, Tony Todd, Suzie Plakson,
Barbara March and Gwynth Walsh, the Unforgettable Kevin Conway, and more
recently Avery Brooks, Colm Meaney, and Rene Auberjonois  {{>:-D~  although I
do appreciate the ground breaking works of John Colicos, William Campbell and
Michael Ansara.  And, of course, all the gratitude goes to {pIn'a' DevwI' je}
Dr. Marc Okrand.  {qatlho'neS}

And now to my initial questions regarding {tlhIngan Hol}, many more will be
transmitted in the near future.

1. We know that the verb {Qum} is "communicate" and that it can be
nominalized into {QumwI'} for "one who/thing which communicates", but is
there a sufffix or construct which would nominalize it into "message" or
"communication" or "communique"?  I am wondering about this due to the lack
of a noun for "message" or "communique".  Thusly, how would one say, "my
message" or "my communique" as in "Did you get my (subspace)
message/communique?"  Subspace Transceiver Assemblies (communicators) would
not exactly transmit a {ghItlh} "manuscript", unless the message was
printed/displayed as it was received.  (One may use {mu'meywIj} "my words",
but is this the only option?)  Just wondering.

2. I have seen several variations of {tlhIngan Hol mu'} which phonetically
resemble their counter-parts and carry the same meaning but with dramatically
different spellings which don't conform to grammar rules of {tlhIngan Hol}.
 Examples would include (( {tlhIngan Hol} / other ))  {betleH} / bet'telh,
  {Daqtagh} / d'k tahg, {petaQ} / p'tahk, and so on.  Where do these other
words come from and why do they exist?  And do {tlhIngan Hol} words exist for
the other form of words like "s'tarahk" (a steed) and "kraw'za" (a bird) from
the book "Kahless" by Michael Jan Friedman?  Are these other words
Terran-izations like writing "Kahless" instead of {qeylIS} and "Worf" instead
of {wo'rIv}?  And what is the consensus about adding standard {tlhIngan Hol}
suffixes to these non-{tlhIngan Hol} words like "s'tarahkmey" which appeared
in Friedman's "Kahless"? ( {-mey} being a noun pluralizer of course.)

Any comments and corrections will be greatly appreciated and heeded.
This will no doubt be one of my longest postings due to its introductory
nature.  I will strive for brevity in the future.

wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap.
reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj!!!

David

NOTE:This message was originally drafted using {tlhIngan Hol ghItlhwI'}
(Kview.exe) which was downloaded from KLI.  To KLI and d'Armond Speers,
{Satlho'neS}.

Back to archive top level