tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 28 16:32:38 1997

RE: jIQaHnIS

On Friday, February 28, 1997 4:15 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
fonseca wrote:

> Hi! Unfortunatly my time is quite short, so I'm not having time to update
> my bit klingon knowledge, but I need your help to unknowed words (for me
> of course).

Ah.  Your subject line says {jIQaHnIS}, which means "I need to help."  You
meant "HIQaH} "Help me!"

> I'm playing a game and in my war ships there are some
> commands as:
>
> 1. Exploration
> 2. Mine Sweep
> 3. Lay mines
> 4. Kill (attack).... Hiv
> 5. Sensor Sweep
> 6. Colonize
> 7. Try to Tow
> 8. Try to Intercept
> 9. Cloak............ So'
>
> 	Only "kill" and "cloak" I could guess, but the others ...  :((

I'll give some brief answers.  You should really be working some of these out
yourself.

1.  {tu'meH leng} "trip for observing."  This is just my own take on a
contextless word.

2. We don't have a word for this sort of mine, so I'll say, {jorbogh jan
So'lu'bogh tISam} "Seek and locate exploding devices which have been hidden."

3. {jorbogh jan So'lu'bogh tIlan}  "Place exploding devices which have been
hidden."

4. {HIv} (clipped).  {yIHIv} if talking to one person, {peHIv} if speaking to
more than one.

5. {yIHotlh} "Scan!"  {peHotlh} for more than one person.

6. {mID yIchenmoH} "Make a colony."

7. {bIyuvHa' 'e' yInID} "Try to pull."  I'm only guessing that {yuvHa'} would
be translated as "pull."  For more than one person, say {SuyuvHa' 'e' yInID}.

8. {bIghoS 'e' yInID} "Try to approach."  For more than one person, say
{SughoS 'e' yInID}.

9. {So'} (clipped)  {yISo'} or {peSo'} for more than one person.  Best of all,
{So'wI' yIchu'} "Activate cloaking device!"

> 	Other thing: How can I say: "activate tractor beam" ?

In my {jatmey} story, I said, {Dujmaj jontaHbogh Surchem'e' luchu'ta'
romuluSnganpu'} "The Romulans have activated a forcefield which captures our
ship."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian