tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 23 12:35:19 1997

RE: Memory Prime

jatlh 'Iwvan:

> Joel Peter Anderson wrote:
> > Then the barkeep, a surly fellow, spits in front of the character, who
> > dabs at the spittle with a cloth, and raises it to touch his forhead.
> > Alarmed at an action that would signify there betrothal, the barkeep
> > hurriedly shouts:
> >
> > "ghobe'! ghobe'!"
>
> Why not {Qo'!}?  I thought {ghobe'} was `no' as in `that's not true',
> as opposed to {Qo'} `don't do that'.

According to TKD, {Qo'} means "No, I won't, I refuse," and "I disagree."  I
know of no other examples of {Qo'}.  This doesn't seem to be the word to use.

You are correct, though, in that {ghobe'} means "negative," in response to a
question.  This is also not the correct word.

I'd say the right word would be {mev}.  I'd say it clipped, "mev!  mev!"  That
works with the situation.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian