tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 23 12:33:52 1997

RE: KLBC baby story, corrected + Q's

jatlh tIm:

> lut vI'ja' vIneH
> Stardate 96460.2 bogh puqloDwI'
> I thought I had figured out your stardates.  Don't tell me I'm keen to
guess.

If you give up, go to http://members.aol.com/dtrimboli/stardate.html

> DaH jatlhchoH
> What I wanted to say was, "He is just begining to learn to talk.  The third
> verb made it difficult.  <DaH ghojchoH jatlh>?

This requires a sentence-as-object form, as described in TKD section 6.2.5.

jatlh 'e' ghojchoH
He begins to learn to speak.

The first sentence is {jatlh} "He speaks."  The second is {'e' ghojchoH} "He
begins to learn that," where the {'e'} "that" is a pronoun substituting for
the entire first sentence.

> <dadada> chenmoH QIch wa'DIch
> nom <dada> moj
> Quchbej SoSDaj 'ach mu'mey chu' neH ghaH
> <mama> neHba'
> mu'mey chu' vIneH neH
> jatlh be'nalwI'

My wife speaks?  What did she say?  Add a quotation at either end of the
sentence.
 For example,

jatlh be'nalwI' <mu'mey chu' jatlh ghaH vIneH!>

Don't be afraid to use punctuation.  Use it to mimic pauses and changes in
your voice as you would in English.

> DaHjaj Doch neHbogh Hev
> DaH <vavavava> jatlh puqloDma'
> muquvmoH puqloDwI' jatlhtaHvIS
> O.K. what I wanted to say here is,"My son honors me with his words."  This
is
> the indirect object problem I've heard about.  I took a few stabs using type
> 5 suffixes, but nothing worked.  <mu'meymo' muguvmoH puqloDwI'>, was the
> closest I came.  So I changed the  English to fit my Klingon knowledge.  Now
> as I rethink the problem, an answer comes;
> <puqloDwI' mu'mey muquvmoH>

No, this is not about indirect objects.  {muquvmoH puqloDwI' jatlhtaHvIS}
means "My son honors me while he speaks."  If you want something closer to "My
son honors me with his words,"  you can recast it as follows:

mu'meyDajmo' muquvmoH puqloDwI'
Because of his words, my son honors me.

This is just about what you had, which you didn't like.

You've got the sentence order backwards in your last attempt:

muquvmoH puqloDwI' mu'mey
My son's words honor me.

--
SuStel