tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 21 06:18:52 1997

RE: Need some clearification.

jatlh HomDoq:

> DaraQ is asking for help:
> > > "I see fools everwhere in this army."
> > > which I translate as <Dat mangghomDaq qoHpu' vIlegh>
> > > Can I get a judgement on this one?
>
> SuStel offers:
> > My judgement is that your sentence is fine.  {Dat} is just as much a
locative
> > as {mangghomDaq} is, it just isn't allowed to use {-Daq}.
>
> but! {mangghom} isn't a location someone is at or approaching, right?
> so shouldn't it be more like {qoH Da mangghomvam negh law' 'e' vItu'}?
> "I find that many of this army's soldiers behave like fools."

I see what you mean.  No, I still think that {mangghomDaq} works.  The army
is, literally, at a location, and there are fools physically in the army.

Still, if that bothers you, you can do it your way.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level