tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 20 23:35:54 1997

RE: KLBC Baby Story

jatlh [email protected]:

> lut vI'ja' vI'neH

{vIneH}.  Don't add a glottal stop.

> 960916.91 boghpu' puqloDwI'

*I'd* use Stardate 96460.2  :)

If this is the time he was born, you don't use {-pu'}.  {-pu'} indicates that
the action is already complete as of the time.  Your son was not already born
on Stardate 96460.2, that's *when* he was born.  Just say

Stardate 96460.2 bogh puqloDwI'

(Sorry, I like using my Stardates better. :-P  )

> jatlh ghaH DaH 'e' tagh ghaH

There's an easier way to say this.

DaH jatlhchoH.
He begins to speak now.

> <dadada> chenmoHpu' QIch wa'DIch
> nom <dada> mojpu'

If we're not to use aspect on the sentence {DaH jatlhchoH}, then we shouldn't
really use it here, either.  Remove {-pu'} from both of these.

> Quchbej DajSoS 'ach mu'mey neH

{-Daj} is a suffix, not a prefix.  {SoSDaj}.

Also, "new words" would be {mu'mey chu'}.

> <mama> neHba'
> neH vIneH mu'mey 'e' jatlh ghaH

First of all, never use {'e'} with a verb of speaking, like {jatlh}.  It's
just a rule in TKD.

I think you've misplaced the words here.  They're out of order.

mu'mey chu' vIneH neH
I merely want new words.

Remember, {neH} is a word which comes before the word it modifies.  And
remember sentence order: Obj-Verb-Subj.

> neH ghaH DaHjaj 'e' Hev

This is very weird.  It didn't want {'e'}.  And "what she wanted" is a bit
tricky.

DaHjaj Doch neHbogh Hev.
Today she received the thing which she wanted.

Read TKD's section on {-bogh} to clear this up.

> DaH <vavavava> jatlh puqloDma'
> puqloDwI' jatlh 'e' muquvmoH

Again, you don't want {'e'}.  This needs a subordinate clause with {-vIS}.

muquvmoH puqloDwI' jatlhtaHvIS
My son honors me while he speaks.

> This is the first time I've written anything so long.  I have a feeling I
> made a ton of mistakes.

ram.  bIlujlaHbe'chugh bIQaplaHbe'.

--
SuStel