tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 20 17:58:39 1997

Re: Need some clearification.

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, David Barron wrote:
|> I have a question in my postal course that asks for a Klingon Translation
|> "I see fools everwhere in this army." which I translate as
|> 		<Dat mangghomDaq qoHpu' vIlegh>
|> Now, for some reason, I keep thinking <Daq> *must* be put at the front
|> because it acts adverbially but, on the other hand, <Dat> is not an
|> adverb.
|>
|> Can I get a judgement on this one?
|
|Yes, I know My sentence is fine. I want a clearifcation on the placement
|of <Dat>. I am assuming you will tell me that <Dat> does NOT have to go at
|the front of the sentence 'cause it's not an adverbial. qar'a'?

bIlugh. Luckily, an example with Dat comes from CK:
	qatlh Dat DI tu'lu' tlhIngan?
	Why is there rubble everywhere, Klingon?
Although question words aren't listed with the other adverbials in TKD 5.4,
p. 69 does say that, "Three other question words [i.e. ghorgh, qatlh &
chay' along with nuqDaq] likewise occur at the beginning of the sentence."

Maybe rephrasing the English would make more sense:
	mangghomDaq Dat qoHpu' vIlegh
	In the army, everywhere I see fools.

Ah, punctuation.

-- Voragh