tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 18 00:35:47 1997

Re: nobHa' (was: tach Such)

In a message dated 97-02-13 15:40:45 EST, HomDoq writes:

<< > Here, {nobHa'} means "ungive."

 is this canon? I understand {nobHa'} in a way that the _Subject_ is
 taking back what the (Ind) _Object_ had been given before (not necessarily
 by Subject though)

 and if you want to say, "well, that would be {yaHmoH}", I think the
 difference is in the perceived order of events, thus

 {nob} gives - {nobHa'} takes back
               {yaHmoH} takes away - {yaHHa'moH} gives back

 (but I don't think you could use {yaHHa'moH} for the bartender example,
 _maybe_, just maybe, {HevHa'} as in {tera'nganvaD latlh HevHa'}.) >>

Thanks for bringing up {HevHa'}.  You did not add {lajHa'} to your list.

TKW uses {nobHa'} literally for "gives back."

My concern is over the meaning of {yaHHa'}.  I have looked at {yaH} as
different from {nge'}:  To me {yaH} feels like "being lessened,"  yaH wa'
ghot loDvam jen law' Hoch jen puS renders as "This man is the
next-to-tallest."  tera'ngan loDvo' cha' DeQ nge'pu' chom renders as "The
bartender took two credits from the Earth man."

peHruS     batlh Sachjaj tlhIngan wo' tlhIngan Hol je

Back to archive top level