tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 13 18:42:36 1997

RE: News from Pocket Books!

February 13, 1997 1:40 AM EST, jatlh jeyD:

> jeyD monDaq jijaH jineH
>
> 	Im just a beginner,

Hi!  I've just written another BG intro note, so please take a look at that
one (the subject is "Hi, and is there a word for . . .").  (Gotta save me some
typing time!  :)

Welcome aboard!

> although its not a very "klingon" name, I go by
> jade, or jeyD.

Your name is your choice; see the FAQ
http://www.thomtech.edu/dspeers/klingon/faq.htm.  I don't see what's so
un-Klingon about {jeyD}.

> The sentence is suppose to say I want to go to jades
> capital, is it right?

Not quite.  First of all, always be sure to capitalize all {I}s.  It may not
seem important, but believe me, to those of us who are used to it that way,
it's *very* difficult to read them lower-case!  Also, with other letters,
there are important differences.

Secondly, when you use "want" {neH}, the first sentence is the *object* of the
second sentence, the "want" part.  This means that you cannot use the "no
object" prefix on {neH}, you must use the third-person singular object prefix,
in this case, {vI-}.

Finally, *always* mark names in your sentences with asterisks, or quotes, or
something else.  It doesn't really matter what, as long as you don't send
people off, trying to look up the word {jeyD}, which isn't in the dictionary.

*jeyD* monDaq jIjaH vIneH.

Otherwise, {majQa'!}

> 	I used jades capital in place of a location I really like to go to, but
> is there a word for island? It would be usefull.

Oh, I see where this is going!  No, unfortunately, we don't have a word for
"island."  You should hear Captain Krankor's song (I think Krankor wrote it,
didn't he?), {la' ghopDaq} "The Commander's Asteroid," which is sung to the
tune of "Gilligan's Island"!

> 	Also how do you say "I miss you"?

My, what an un-Klingon thing to say!  Well, there's no word for "miss," as far
as I know, so you have to come up with an alternative.  It really depends on
your sentiment.  Are you saying this is a depressed sort of way, or is it
cheerful?  I'm imagining this as being the final line for a MUD or possibly a
web page, and it's sort of like saying

tugh qaleghqa'jaj
I hope to see you again soon!

--