tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 13 18:42:26 1997

RE: Hi, and is there a word for...

On Wednesday, February 12, 1997 10:42 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
Don or Carey or Rich wrote:

> Greetings.  I'm only just beginning to learn tlhIngan Hol,

Hi!  I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  I'm here to help you get
started in learning Klingon.  If you want to ask me questions, or want to
speak Klingon at a beginner's level with me or anyone else, please put "KLBC"
at the beginning of your subject line.  This indicates that the BG is the
first person to correct the grammar and answer language questions (to keep you
from getting too many opinions at once).  And please don't respond to grammar
or vocabulary issues in others' KLBC posts until I've gotten through with
them!

If you haven't already, please visit these very important web sites:

The Klingon Language Institute
http://www.kli.org

This list's FAQ:
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

> I'll post my
> question in English:  is there a tlhIngan Hol word for trekker/trekkie?

Do you have The Klingon Dictionary yet?  There's one word, {ngotlh}, which
means "be fanatical."  If you add the Type 9 verb suffix {-wI'} to this verb,
{ngotlhwI'}, it means "one who is fanatical."

So, you could say {"Star Trek" ngotlhwI'} "Star Trek fanatic."  Or, you could
even translate "Star Trek," which usually comes out {Hov leng} (literally
"star voyage"; I tend to avoid translating titles whenever possible).

> My name is Don,

What about Carey and Rich?  Are they interested in speaking Klingon, too?
Believe me, there's nothing more useful than having someone to practice with!

> I have no Klingon name yet, and I plan to join IKV Lev'ek in
> Springfield, Illinois soon.  I'll be reading this mailing list eagerly as I
> learn a new language.

batlh bIghojjaj!
May you learn honorably!

--