tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 07 18:26:14 1997

RE: KLBC

February 06, 1997 10:43 PM, jatlh Gerald Borleis:

> pabwIj DalughtaH ngoy'be'

"My grammar you are correct it it is not responsible."  Hmmm . . . what were
you trying to say here?  "You are not responsible for correcting my grammar"?
Best to treat this as two sentences:

pabwIj DalughnISbe'moH.  bIngoy'be'.
You don't need to correct my grammar.  You are not responsible.

Notice the {-moH} suffix?  {lugh} is "be correct," not "cause to be correct."
To get that, you add {-moH}.

Ah.  I see below you tried to say, "I hope your fatigue is not due to
correcting my grammar."  I'm not sure how you ended up with your sentence
above.  Let's do this one:

pabwIj DalughmoHtaHmo' bIQongbe' 'e' vItul.
I hope that you are not tired because you were correcting my grammar.

This is a rather complex sentence, and you must be especially careful with the
{-mo'} and the {'e'}.

> bIparHa' jIjeghQo'

"You like I won't surrender."  I still don't understand you.

Okay, below you say "Like you, I won't surrender."  Actually, this is going to
end up a little complicated in Klingon, which tends to have a more rigid word
order and structure.  Here's how I'd say it:

jIjeghQo'mo' qarur.
Because I won't surrender, I resemble you.

{par} is "dislike," and {parHa'} is "like," an emotion.  It's not a
comparative term.

> >You sure like using the {bo-} prefix, and I'm not sure why!  It doesn't go
> here either.
>
> ra' vlQubbe' 'e' {bo-} vIwiV

Read TKD section 6.2.5 carefully.  {'e'} is the *object* of the second verb,
so that verb cannot have another object.

Looking below, I see your problem.  "Think in commands" is a questionable
sentence, even in English.  Let's come up with something a little more basic:

ra'meH mu'tlhegh vIyajchu'be'mo' <bo-> vIwIv.
I chose {bo-} because I do not completely understand command sentences.

{ra'meH mu'tlhegh} literally means "sentences for commanding."  The {-meH}
clause is modifying the noun, and the whole thing becomes a single noun
phrase.

> mu'tlheghlI' Qav vImIS

Are you trying to say that my last sentence confused you?  {mu'tlhegh} is not
something which is capable of using language, so you must use {-lIj} on it,
not {-lI'}.  And this requires the noun suffix {-mo'} (go ahead and look it
up):

mu'tlheghlIj Qavmo' jImIS
Because of your final sentence, I am confused.

Or, even more consise:

mumISmoH mu'tlheghlIj Qav.
Your final sentence caused me to be confused.

There's that {-moH} again!

> >qech yItagh tlhIngan Hol DajatlhtaHvIS, 'ej jIjangbej.
>
> chaq "I propose the idea that while you continuously speak Klingon and I
> will certainly answer."

*I'm* not the one proposing an idea.  I used an imperative prefix to give a
command.

qech yItagh
Start an idea.

The whole thing read, "Begin an idea while speaking Klingon, and I'll
certainly answer."

> I hope your fatique is not do correcting my grammer.
> Like you, I will not give up.
> >
> I chose {bo-} because I do not yet think in commands.
> >
> I was confused by your last sentance.
> Perhaps "...

rejmorgh yIDaQo'.
qalughmoH 'ach muDoy'moHbe' ghu'vam.