tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 01 17:01:17 1997

qogh vs. teS

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, David Trimboli wrote:

|January 31, 1997 3:12 PM EST,jatlh torroS:
|> > *Stomp Box* ghum ghogh            | Stomp Box, voice of fear
|> > qoghwIjDaq tar yIchagh            | pour the poison in my ear
|
|> True. {teS} is probably a better choice.
|
|> >Is {chagh} equal to "pour" as well as "drop"?
|> >For "cause to go into" I might use {'elmoH}.
|
|> No, {chagh} means "drop", but I couldn't find words for "pour", "put",
|> "insert", etc. {'elmoH} may be a better choice here, too.
|
|teSwIjDaq tar yIlan
|teSwIjDaq tar SaHmoHlu'
|teSwIj teblu'meH, tar lo'lu'.
|etc.
|
|SuStel

In the KlI translation of Hamlet, Nicholas and Strader had this very
problem. In Act I, Scene V the Ghost of Hamlet's father describes his own
murder to his son:

		... thy uncle stole,
With juice of cursed hebenon in a vial,
And in the porches of mine ears did pour
The leperous distilment;

mucholmeH pegh'egh vavloDnI'lI' 'ong.
ej He'benon tItaS HIvje'Hom qengDI',
qoghDu'wIj 'ochDaq DIrroptaSvam chaghmoH.

Later in Act III, Scene 2, Hamlet has hired the wandering players to
re-enact the poisoning of his father in order to observe Claudius'
reactions and "catch the conscience of the king." SeQpIr describes the
action thus:

"Anon comes in a fellow, takes off his crown, kisses it, and pours poison
in the King's ears, and exit."

tugh 'el loD latlh. ta' mIv teq 'ej roS. ta' qoghDaq tar chagh 'ej mej.

They used {qogh}, since this seems to describe the action better: the
poisoner grabs hold of the victim's ear (the flap of skin/cartilege on the
side of his head) and pours poison through it into the ear canal where it
is presumably absorbed into the blood stream.

We'll have to ask Maltz where Klingons draw the dividing line between the
outer, visible ear {qogh} and the internal organ of hearing {teS}. Okrand
discusses these two terms in HolQeD 2.4. On MSN Okrand defines {qogh} as:
"An organ used for sonic perception. In the majority of humanoids, an ear
is found on each side of the head." {qogh} also shows up in Klingon slang
(qogh tuQmoHHa'). To me this implies that {qogh} is probably the more
generally used of the two, with {teS} of more interest, perhaps, to doctors
and anatomists.

Voragh

Back to archive top level