tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 26 11:43:27 1997

Re: KLBC:Web/Warriors

ghItlh qoror:

>Hmm... does anyone here speak Vulcan? What's the original of this? Is it
>a good translation, or a loose one, such as the phrase "Surrender or die!"?

In ST1, we hear something resenbling "divdog esmosma Spock" - subtitled
"Live long and prosper, Spock". This is obviously gibberish devised to match
the lip motion of the actors who originally spoke English when filmed. (The
same phenomenon occurs in ST2, and I believe MO himself was the linguist
responsible there. Who did it in ST1?)

BTW, unlike Klingon, which has a given vocabulary and grammar, Vulcan has
never, to my knowledge, been so codified by a Parampunt-approved source. I
am sure I count among many who have explored possible grammars and vocab
lists for <vulqangan Hol>, but they are not "really" Vulcan, any more than
<Dagh> is a Klingon word without other syllables. All the Vulcan which
exists in the TV shows and movies is either lip-synced gibberish as above,
or isolated words like 'Kroika!'

vulqangan Hol De' Sovlu'chugh, vIghoj vIneH.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level