tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 24 20:03:11 1997

Re: KLBC: tera’Daq qoD leng

>Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 21:38:31 -0800 (PST)
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>
>As Qov has explained earlier, translating the works of other
>writers is generally not a good place for beginners to expend a
>lot of energy. Since this has (a rather garbled example of) the
>KLBC header, I'll assume you consider yourself to be a beginner.
>
>Briefly, the main reason translating the works of others is a
>bad idea for beginners is: In order to learn a language well,
>you need to know how to express thoughts with it. Thoughts. Not
>words. Thoughts.

Everything he said, repeated.  And also the stuff I'm clipping.  Listen to
the man.

Oh, and turn off your "smart quotes" (what a hypocritical name!).  On my
screen I see gobs of things like "\222" and "\221" instead of honest
apostrophes.  It's also what mangled your subject line.

>On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 12:54:20 -0800 (PST) Eduardo Fonseca
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>     tera'Daq qoD leng vImughqa'.
>> (I resume translate the Journey to the center of the Earth)
>
>maj.

This sounds like "an inside-journey in the Earth"... I'd have expected
"tera' qoDDaq leng" or better "tera' botlhDaq leng".  How did you read this
that you liked it, charghwI'?  I can see a certain defence for
"in-the-earth, inside journey", but maybe it's not what you were thinking.

>And this ends how far I'm going in this translation. There are a
>lot of little errors here. If I correct too many in one session,
>you won't absorb any learning from it and I won't have time to
>address anyone but you. Sending a large volume of messy
>translation and requesting help with it is not productive or
>enjoyable for you or me.

Probably a good idea.  Maybe submit the translation in smaller chunks.  If
you must translate, that is.

~mark

Back to archive top level