tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 23 20:09:54 1997

Re: KLBC:Web/Warriors

-----Original Message-----
From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, December 23, 1997 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: KLBC:Web/Warriors

>According to Tamise Totterdell:
>> yIqu' SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be fierce
>> yIHem SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be proud
>> yIHos SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be strong
>> yIquv SuvwI'pu'    Warriors be honored
>
>majQa'.

Not quite.  Since you are addressing multiple warriors, you need the
imperative prefix which indicates that: {pe-}.

pequ' SuvwI'pu'
peHem SuvwI'pu'

etc.

Now, while these are grammatically correct, they are not the best way to say
it.  In Klingon for the Galactic Traveler, page 117, Okrand tells us:
"Generally, when a verb describing a state of being (for example, {tuj} ['be
hot']) is used in the imperative form, the suffixes {-'egh} (reflexive
suffix) and {-moH} ('cause') are used as well: {yItuj'eghmoH} ('Heat
yourself!'--that is, 'Cause yourself to be hot!')."

Now, it just falls to us to determine exactly which verbs describe states of
being.  {HoS} and {quv} obviously are.  I would guess that {qu'} and {Hem}
are, too, though you *could* make the argument that being fierce and being
proud are actions, and not simply states.  If they've ever been used
adjectivally, I'd call them states.  ({qu' is used adjectivally in KGT [see
p.160], but I'm not sure if {Hem} ever has been.  I wouldn't be at all
surprised if it could be, though.)

Thus, we get:

pequ''eghmoH SuvwI'pu'
Cause yourselves to be fierce!
Be fierce!

peHem'eghmoH
Cause yourselves to be fierce!
Be proud!

peHoS'eghmoH
Strengthen yourselves!
Be strong!

pequv'eghmoH
Honor yourselves!
Be honored!

>That last one sounds a little strange, since being
>honored is to be the recipient from someone else of honor. How
>you can command this, I'm not sure. It's sort of like an
>imperative passive voice. They don't mix all that well.

The problem seems to be that Tamise has mistaken "be honored" for "be
honorable."  The literal meaning of {pequv'eghmoH} illustrates the source of
your misgivings.  One honors oneself by acting honorably, so the phrase
*does* work in a certain way.  Otherwise, say {batlh pevang} "Act
honorably!"

SuStel
Stardate 97979.9

Back to archive top level