tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 23 19:49:30 1997

Re: KLBC: tera'Daq qoD leng

|Eduardo Fonseca wrote:
|> tera'Daq qoD leng
|> Journey to the Centre of the Earth   (Julio Verne)

There's a better word available: {botlh} "center, middle" (n). Don't forget
{-Daq} goes at the end of the Noun-Noun phrase:

  tera' botlhDaq leng     "journey to the-Earth's-center"

The distinction from {qoD} "inside, interior" is subtle, but we might as
well use what tools we have considering the limited vocabulary Maltz has
chosen to reveal to us.

|> qaStaHvIS wa'SaD chorghvatlh javmaH wej DIS jarvagh jaj wa�maH loS,
|> nom juHHomwIjDaq chegh vavwI� loDnI�wI�.
|
|This is not the way Okrand has written years. voragh will
|remember better than I do, but I believe it would be {tera' DIS
|wa'-chorgh-jav-wej jar vagh jaj cha'maH loS}.  [...]
|
|charghwI'

reH lugh charghwI':

  TM, R c. je tera' DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-loS Paramount Pictures.
  TM, R c. 1994 Paramount Pictures. (Skybox copyright notice)

  HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
  [untranslated on Skybox card S33]

This indicates how Klingons read dates aloud: simply list the cardinal
numbers rather like the way most Americans read out telephone numbers, zip
codes, ISBNs, etc. but *not* the way we read dates by grouping the numerals
in twos ("nineteen ninety-seven").  Speakers of other languages read dates
differently, of course:

  tysiacha deviat'sot devianosto sed'moi god
  "thousand nine-hundred ninety seventh year"  (Russian)

  (shenat) elef tesha' me-ot tish'im ve-sheva'
  "(the year) thousand nine hundred ninety and-seven"  (Hebrew)

If you're not sure, you can always use numbers ("1997") in your posts and
let the reader deal with the problem.  ;-)

Voragh

Back to archive top level