tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 23 22:03:48 1997

Re: KLBC: tera'Daq qoD leng

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, December 23, 1997 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: KLBC: tera'Daq qoD leng

>|Eduardo Fonseca wrote:
>|> tera'Daq qoD leng
>|> Journey to the Centre of the Earth   (Julio Verne)
>
>There's a better word available: {botlh} "center, middle" (n). Don't forget
>{-Daq} goes at the end of the Noun-Noun phrase:
>
>  tera' botlhDaq leng     "journey to the-Earth's-center"

Here's another Krankor Trick, and I'd just assume zap it out of existence.
Most evidence and my own gut feeling tell us that you cannot have a Type 5
suffix on the first noun in a phrase like that.  Time to recast.

tera' botlh leng
Earth center journey

tera' botlh He
Earth center course

If that's too vague for you, make it a sentence (what's the hang-up with
translating noun phrase titles as noun phrases in Klingon?):

tera' botlh ghoSlu'
Someone unspecified heads for Earth's center.
(More or less translates exactly as "Journey to the center of the Earth.")

Or you can elaborate on the subject, if you like.  Or add a bit of meaning
not in the original:

tera' botlh ghoSlu'lI'
Someone unspecified is heading for Earth's center.

We could probably come up with a few more, but the point is you *don't* need
to resort to Type 5 suffixes on the first noun of a noun-noun construction.

SuStel
Stardate 97980.0

Back to archive top level