tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 18 08:27:50 1997

Re: lum tlhInganpu'

According to Qov:
> The catastrophe obligates you to fix the device.  janvaD DutI'nISmoH lot.

The grammar for adding {-moH} to a transitive verb is confusing
and I believe you have it wrong. I read this as "The
catastrophe obligates the device to fix you." It is arguable
that you could have said {jan DutI'nISmoH lot}, though we have
no canon examples that combine the transitive {-moH} and the
prefix shorthand for a second-person indirect object. The most
arguably correct version would be {SoHvaD jan tI'nISmoH lot.}

To be honest, I don't like this grammar a lot because it is so
confusing and only use it if I can't find some other way to
cast something. In this case, I'd use:

lotmo' jan DatI'nIS.

No, it doesn't match the original English wording at all, but I
think it really does carry the meaning more clearly than
anything else suggested so far. DaparHa''a'?

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI'

Back to archive top level