tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 15 15:01:20 1997

Re: Basic Vocabulary

Qov wrote:

[...]
> We need the following:
>
> * Input from beginners on how many words should be on the list -- I say 100,
> that's five percent of the vocabulary and a word a day for three months
> before qep'a'. Beginners: is that too many words or not enough?

I don't think 100 words is enough. I know about 350 words so far, and I still
have to look up a lot. It might be appropriate if you have a particular subject
you want to talk about, but if you want to take part in different conversations,
you need more vocabulary.
Well, that's my opinion. ...May not be true for those people who are good at
paraphrasing words they don't know.

> * Input from more experienced speakers to identify the most useful five
> percent of the vocabulary for the purpose of qep'a' conversation.
>
> * Someone to collect and collate the suggestions, group or alphabetize the
> words, post the list for checking and then send the whole thing to Lawrence
> by around February.
>
> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

HovqIj