tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 15 00:39:20 1997

Re: Basic Vocabulary

At 17:31 97-12-12 -0800, Lawrence wrote:

}> Experienced speakers might choose different words in some cases, but
}> the dialogue is understandable. (Lawrence, you rejected my suggestion
}> of developing vocabulary sheets so that beginners would have some words
}> to aim for, and advanced speakers would know what vocabulary to use to
}> be understood by the beginnners. Would you reconsider it if the
}> vocabulary sheets were sent out BEFORE qep'a'?)
}
}Let's not forget the context for my decision. We tried this before, at
}qep'a' cha'DIch I think, and it didn't work.

You never said what the list was FOR at wejDIch.  I was there.  Everyone
kind of tested themselves against it then put it in their suitcases, and
nobody mentioned it again.  The point of the list I am suggesting is that
everyone knows that they are the words beginners can be expected to know, or
at least scrinch their faces at, saying "oh I know that word."

}Are you hereby
}volunteering to to gather, edit, and send me such a list some time in
}the Spring?

No. I'm volunteering to answer KLBCs on this list and to run a qepHom in
January and a possibly provide the language half of a language-and-combat
Klingon event in California in the spring.

}If you (or someone else) volunteers to handle that part,
}I'll see to the actual printing and mailing of the vocabulary sheets.

We need the following:

* Input from beginners on how many words should be on the list -- I say 100,
that's five percent of the vocabulary and a word a day for three months
before qep'a'. Beginners: is that too many words or not enough?

* Input from more experienced speakers to identify the most useful five
percent of the vocabulary for the purpose of qep'a' conversation.

* Someone to collect and collate the suggestions, group or alphabetize the
words, post the list for checking and then send the whole thing to Lawrence
by around February.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level