tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 15 15:01:00 1997

KLBC Challenge: similar suffixes (fwd)

ghItlh Qov:
> This is a challenge for people who are at least starting to understand how
> to use suffixes.
>
> There are five Klingon suffixes that can be used on either nouns OR
> verbs.  One of them has the same meaning on both nouns and verbs.  The
> others have completely different meanings.
>
> Use your TKD to find all five suffixes, and for each suffix, write a
> sentence that uses it correctly on a noun and a verb.  Translate
> your sentences.
>
> For example, one of the suffixes is {-'a'}.  It makes a noun
> represent something larger in concept, more impressive or more
> significant than the base noun, and it makes a verb into a question.
> My sentence with {-'a'} on both a noun and a verb is:
>
> Qap'a' De'wI''a'?  - Is the supercomputer working?
>
> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

Here are my sentences:

{'a'}: SuvwI''a' ghaH'a'? - Is (s)he a great warrior?
{wI'}: HIghwI' ghaHbe' jupwI' 'e'. - My friend is not an unhonorable fighter.
{lI'}: SoH DunejlI' vavlI'. - Your father is (continuously) looking for you.
{pu'}: Haw'pu' romulusnganpu'. - The Romulans fled.
{mo'}: HeSwI' lujonmo', weHDajmo' luHuplaH. - Because (I know... never start a
sentence with "because"...)they captured the criminal, they could blame him for
his hold-up (Is "hold-up" right for {weH}? I still have $�&*'# German TKD.)

HovqIj

Back to archive top level