tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 23:25:22 1997

Re: -wI' ambiguous suffix

At 17:54 97-12-09 -0800, Edy wrote:
}        Greetings!
}
}        I was thinking about suffix < -wI' >  (person or thing who does)
}and the ambiguity it can cause.  I didn't a word for << pen >> or << pencil >>
}then, the word << ghItlhwI' >> " thing who writes"  could be a good way but
}it could mean "writer" too.

It's true, just as in English a printer is a person who manufactures books,
a person ith a pen making careful letters, or a machine that makes hardcopy
of your files.  A topper is a type of heavy machinery that removes the upper
branches from trees, the person who runs this machine, a little object to go
on top of a cake or the last thing in a chain of notable occurances or facts.

}Okay .. the context will tell us the write word, but
}I'm not sure if we'll have all answers all the time.  Another way I thought
}about was << ghItlhmoHwI'>> < thing which cause to write >> but I'm not
}sure about it.  I was wondering about the klingon's evolution and one day
}they may had to use a pencil or pen.

Klingons probably have native words for different writing implements.  We
just don't know them.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level